Alamogordo Daily News/alamogordonews.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a motivated, curious and self-starting reporter to join its award-winning news team.
This reporter should excel in a variety of tasks, from sourcing social media and online sources to target trending news to covering local government and crime and courts.
You should be able to effectively write for a digital audience, know their way around social media, be able to collaborate with a team and not be afraid to bring big ideas to the table.
This reporter should also be comfortable tackling investigative, in-depth enterprise and data reporting assignments.
- Serve as a curious, assertive and energetic journalist who jumps to report on trending news.
- Break news for the Alamogordo and Otero County audiences and are the primary on-scene reporter to cover stories as they develop.
- Report quickly and accurately from the field
- Solid news judgment and the ability to think and respond quickly in high-pressure situations.
- Grow the digital audience by producing reliable reports, frequent updates and exclusive details.
- Connect with the audience — through social media and in your writing.
- Provide multi-media coverage of news via photos, video and social media.
- Create content (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) about local news that accurately informs, entertains and engages key audiences and platforms using metrics.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of reporting at a news outlet or equivalent media.
- Source-building, video and other digital-focused skills are a must.
- Proven ability to manage multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Commitment to develop and maintain sources.
- Adept at using social media to tell stories, engage readers, and cover breaking news.
- Ability to meet deadlines, take initiative, receive constructive feedback and work as part of a team yet still show individual initiative
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Post offer, pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and urinalysis drug screen required.
For more details about the position and to apply, visit HERE.