The Taos News, a national-award-winning weekly, is seeking an editor for the Tempo arts and entertainment magazine. Tempo covers the heart and soul of music, art, theater, literature and other creative pursuits in beautiful, high desert Taos County. With a 10,000 circulation and an extensive online presence, Tempo has impact far beyond the borders of Taos. In addition, the magazine has the most comprehensive arts and entertainment calendar in the region.
The ideal candidate will be highly creative, steeped in the arts, technically savvy, organized and able to lead a team. You will be in charge of ensuring the magazine’s continued high quality while bringing your own new ideas for content to bear and looking for new ways to attract a young audience. You will be the face of a well-respected magazine in a community of sophisticated art lovers. As editor, you will stay abreast of openings, new acts, and trends; assign and edit stories; guide freelancers and full-time staff; choose art for the magazine in collaboration with page designers, and contribute stories. The current Tempo editor has held the position for 30 years so this is a rare job opening.
- A bachelor’s degree and at least 5 years experience with newspapers or magazines, preferably arts related;
- Substantial experience as an arts writer, photographer/videographer and general assignment reporter;
- Strong written and oral skills required with knowledge of AP style;
- Graphic arts and design experience preferred;
- Professional experience with Adobe Creative Suites, video editing software, word processing programs and social media management (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook);
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and to manage freelancers.
Health, dental, vision and life insurance after three months; paid vacation; 401K; and subsidized spa membership. Other amenities include a great work environment; outdoor recreation; a lively arts and entertainment scene; and a multi-cultural community.
Come live, work and play in one of New Mexico’s most beautiful cities with a thriving arts community and unlimited outdoor recreation opportunities.
Send your cover letter, resume and clips or links to: Staci Matlock, Editor, Taos News, firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.
The Taos News is an equal opportunity employer.